With immense competition in the Indian telecom sector Reliance Communications (RCom) losses more than 6.9 million subscribers within a month according to the latest Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) report as on 31st March, 2014. Govt owned BSNL and MTNL along with Tata Telecommunications and Loop mobiles also lose around 1.5 lakh subscribers each.
On the gaining side Idea Cellular added the maximum number of subscribers with 2.23 million new connections, closely followed by Vodafone India with 2.21 million subscribers and Bharti Airtel with 1.8 million subscribers.
- Total wireless subscriber base which include GSM, CDMA and FWP subscribers increased from 903.36 million in February, 2014 to 904.51 million at the end of March, 2014, registering a monthly growth of 0.13%.
- Bharti Airtel retained the top position of Indian telecom sector with 22.71% market share, followed by Vodafone India with 18.41% market share and Idea Cellular with 15.01% market share
- The number of telephone subscribers in India increased from 931.95 million at the end of February, 2014 to 933.00 million at the end of March, 2014.
- Out of the total wireless subscribers, 790.87 million were active on the date of Peak VLR for the month of March, 2014.
- Private operators hold 89.16% of the wireless subscriber market share where as BSNL and MTNL, the two PSU operators hold only 10.84% market share.
117.01 million subscribers utilized MNP service
A total of 117.01 million subscribers have submitted their requests to different telecom operators for porting their mobile number. In the month of March, 2014 alone 2.60 million requests have been made for MNP. Maximum number of MNP request have been received from Karnataka by around 13.3 million request, followed by Rajasthan with 11.7 million request and Andhra Pradesh with 10.7 million request.
Indian Broadband subscribers touches 60.87 million subscribers
Number of broadband subscribers increased from 58 million at the end of Feb-14 to 60.87 million at the end of March 2014 with monthly growth rate of 4.95%. The data include subscribers from normal wired connection, wireless subscribers using mobile devices and dongles, and other wireless connection including Wi-Fi, Wi-Max, Point-to-Point Radio & VSAT.
Top five broadband service providers constitute 83.12% of Indian broadband market share and BSNL tops the chart with 16.76 million subscribers followed by Bharti Airtel with 12.36 million subscribers, Idea with 7.23 million subscribers, Reliance with 7.22 million subscribers and Vodafone with 7.02 million subscribers.
- Wired broadband service is completed ruled by BSNL with 10 million subscribers followed by Bharti Airtel with 1.38 million subscribers and MTNK with 1.13 million subscribers.