Another interesting addition, to the ever-expanding list of apps and services from Jio Platforms. The company behind India’s largest telecom operator Reliance Jio has launched a full-fledged web and mobile browser – JioPages. Essentially, it is a new addition, but still a rebranding to its existing JioBrowser.
Based on the tried and tested open-source Chromium Blink rendering engine (yes its the same browser engine behind Google Chrome browser and Opera), JioPages offers a personalised and secure browsing experience. It can render web and mobile pages faster, offer efficient media streaming when watching videos or listening to sound, Emoji domain support and encrypted connection.
However, the interesting bit in JioPages is the browser been conceptualised and designed entirely in India. Thus essentially making it a “Made in India” product that’s designed for Indian user scenarios.
Another well thought addition in JioPages is the support for Indian regional languages. Currently, the browser supports eight Indian languages including Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada and Bengali. By choosing your preferred language, the browser will offer News Feed which is based on your regional language. In addition, it will offer access to popular regional sites across categories and you can add them directly to your browser home screen for quick access.
With Informative Cards feature the browser can show a snippet of live updates on topics of your choice. For example, you can pin a cricket scorecard and it would show the live stats right in the browser home page.
Other features of JioPages
- Made in India browser that offers personalized and secure web browsing experience.
- Support Indian regional languages and offers curated News Feed based on your regional language.
- The browser comes with in-built download manager, QR code scanner and voice search option.
- Can browse in Incognito mode and secure it with a pin.
- Comes in both light mode and dark mode.
- You will be able to reset the default search engine to one from your choice including Google, Bing, Yahoo, and Duck Duck Go.
- It comes with in-built AdBlocker Plus, thus can block ads and pop-ups offering a seamless browsing experience.
JioPages will be replacing Jio’s current web browser JioBrowser. To download fresh, you can head towards Google Play store. That’s said, the web browser is limited to only Android smartphones.