Amazon India now allows you to use Unified Payments Interface (UPI) for online payments. This payment method was tested during January 2018 and is currently active on Amazon India mobile app and mobile website. However, there are some restrictions like transaction limit. So let’s see how UPI payment method works on Amazon India.
How To Pay With UPI on Amazon India
- Open Amazon mobile app or mobile website. Shop for products worth Rs 10,000 and less.
- Proceed to checkout, untick Amazon Pay Balance. You can now choose UPI from Payment methods.
- Type your UPI address and click verify to see your name. Continue, then verify details in the order summary.
- After that, click place your order and Pay. A ‘Complete Your Payment‘ page with 10 min timeout is shown.
- Do not exit Amazon app or mobile website. Switch over to your UPI app, check pending transactions.
- You’ll see a payment request from amazon@apl with time and amount. Make sure you’ve enough time.
- Click pay, enter UPI PIN to finish the transaction. Switch to Amazon app and verify order confirmation.
UPI is the new Government of India approved way to pay for online purchases through BHIM UPI apps linked to your existing bank accounts. If you have not created your UPI ID yet, we recommend you to read our UPI article on the same.
Restrictions Of UPI on Amazon India
- Order amount should be Rs 10,000 or less.
- You cannot choose Amazon Pay Balance with UPI.
- Not available on Amazon India desktop website at present.
- Currently not available in the iOS version of Amazon app.
The transaction limit is understandable, but the restriction on combination payment is unreasonable. In case of payment failures, you cannot retry using the same method but choose a different one viz credit/debit card or net banking. Some of these restrictions might be removed only if Amazon Wallet allows you to create a UPI ID and link your bank account. Amazon will process refunds of cancellations and payment failures within 2-4 business days to the UPI linked bank account.
Amazon has been pushing their Pay Wallet service since the launch by partnering with more websites. In addition to this, they are also providing prepaid mobile recharges with Amazon Pay Balance. Moreover, they are running plenty of cashback offers these days for ‘adding money to’ or ‘paying with’ Pay Balance. As per the latest report, over 60% of their payment transactions are digital and Pay Wallet has contributed 48% of this. Hope the article was informative, Peace!