Yet, again Airtel beats market leader Reliance Jio in monthly new subscriber addition. According to the latest Telecom Subscription Data as on October 2020, by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) – Airtel was successful in adding almost 1.4 million more new subscribers to its network than Jio. That’s straight three months of continuous topping the subscriber addition chart by Airtel.
During the month (October 2020), Airtel added over 3.77 million new subscribers to its network. Wheres, Reliance Jio during the same time was able to add 2.22 million new mobile users to its network. Other then these two telcos no other Indian telcos were able to attract subscribers to their networks.
Stats on Indian Telecom (October 2020)
- The number of telephone subscribers (including both wireless and wired connections) in India increased to 1,171.80 million. Out of these, the total wireless subscribers (which also includes 2G, 3G and 4G LTE subscribers) in the country, counts up to 1,151.81 million.
- During the period, Airtel added the maximum number of new customers – 3,674,243 subscribers, followed by Reliance Jio by around 2.28 million subscribers.
- On the losing side, we have Vodafone Idea who continued its losing streak and now have 2.65 million fewer subscribers. We also have BSNL, MTNL and RCom with a slight decrease in its subscriber base.
- Reliance Jio tops the Indian telecom sector with a clear majority of 35.28 per cent market share. Whereas Airtel share gained to 28.68 per cent, and Vodafone Idea shrieked to around 25.42 per cent.
- Out of the total wireless subscribers (1,151.81 million), 960.91 million wireless subscribers were active on the date of peak VLR in October 2020.
- Airtel got the maximum number of active wireless subscribers – 96.74 per cent as against its total wireless subscribers.
- The wireline subscriber base decreased to 19.99 million in October 2020.
- BSNL and MTNL together hold 52.88 per cent of the whole wireline market share. However, rivals and private ISP’s Reliance Jio and Airtel are expanding rapidly.
- There were 8.80 million Mobile number portability (MNP) requests in October 2020.
Stats on Indian Broadband (October 2020)
- The number of broadband subscribers, which include both mobile and wired subscribers increased to 734.82 million.
- Reliance Jio tops the chart in the Indian data market with 408.06 million subscribers. Airtel takes the second spot with 170.23 million data subscribers.
- In wired broadband and Fiber connections, BSNL continues to hold the top spot with 7.75 million subscribers. However, its user base seems to be eroding rapidly to incumbent ISP and telecom providers Reliance Jio (jio Fiber) and Airtel (Airtel Xtreme)
- On the second spot, we have Airtel Broadband with 2.67 million subscribers.
- Reliance Jio’s Jio Fiber now has around 1.7 million subscribers on its network.
- As always in the Wireless broadband service (3G, 4G) providers, rank list (based on the number of subscribers) Reliance Jio tops the chart, followed by Airtel and Vodafone India.