Second time in a row Bharti Airtel has beaten Reliance Jio in terms of maximum subscriber addition in a month. According to the latest Telecom Subscription Data as on September 2020, by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) – Airtel was successful in adding almost two-fold new subscribers than Jio.
During the month (September 2020), Airtel attracted over 3.77 million new subscribers to its network. Wheres, Reliance Jio during the same time was only able to add 1.46 million new mobile users to its network. Other then these two telcos, state-owned telco BSNL was able to attract a moderate amount of new customers to its network (78K).
Stats on Indian Telecom (September 2020)
- The number of telephone subscribers (including both wireless and wired connections) in India increased to 1,168.66 million. Out of these, the total wireless subscribers alone (which also includes 2G, 3G and 4G LTE subscribers) in the country, also increased to 1,148.58 million.
- During the period, Airtel added the maximum number of new customers – 3,779,891 subscribers.
- On the losing side, we have Vodafone Idea who lost around 4,653,678 subscribers.
- Reliance Jio tops the Indian telecom sector with a clear majority of 35.19 per cent market share. Whereas, Airtel share gained to 28.44 per cent, and Vodafone Idea to around 25.73 per cent.
- Out of the total wireless subscribers (1,148.58 million), 958.45 million wireless subscribers were active on the date of peak VLR in September 2020.
- Airtel got the maximum number of active wireless subscribers – 96.90 per cent as against its total wireless subscribers.
- The wireline subscriber base increased to 20.08 million in September 2020.
- Reliance Jio with its Jio Fiber is expanding rapidly with 3 lakh new customers during the month and now commands over 10.35 per cent of the wireline segment.
- Airtel has also been expanding radially its wireline and broadband presence, which stands now at second spot with 21.99 per cent.
- There was 8.71 million Mobile number portability (MNP) requests in August 2020.
Stats on Indian Broadband (September 2020)
- The number of broadband subscribers, which include both mobile and wired subscribers increased to 726.32 million.
- Reliance Jio tops the chart in the Indian data market with 405.65 million subscribers. Airtel takes the second spot with 166 million data subscribers.
- In wired broadband and Fiber connections, BSNL continues to hold the top spot with 7.80 million subscribers. However, its user base seems to be eroding rapidly to incumbent ISP and telecom providers.
- On the second spot, we have Airtel Broadband with 2.60 million subscribers.
- As always in the Wireless broadband service (3G, 4G) providers, rank list (based on the number of subscribers) Reliance Jio tops the chart, followed by Airtel and Vodafone India.