Recently, one of my pals hit a stumbling block, while trying to update the Aadhaar details online. He couldn’t get past the OTP verification step since the registered mobile number in his Aadhaar card got deactivated months back. This urged me to write a post to address this issue faced by most Aadhaar card users. “How to change a deactivated mobile number linked with your Aadhaar?”
As stated earlier, we know that our Aadhaar card is linked to a mobile number which is used for OTP authentication. It is also needed for updating any Aadhaar details, e-authentication, e-Aadhaar download, or other SMS communications from UIDAI.
What happens if this mobile number gets de-activated? Well, you won’t be able to update Aadhaar details online without access to this number since you can’t get the OTP to proceed with same. So what should you do next? Don’t get frustrated, the steps are simple and you can get it changed to a new mobile number within few weeks. Kindly follow the instructions below.
Steps to change deactivated mobile number linked with Aadhaar
- Download Aadhaar data update or correction form_v2.
- Fill up the form carefully (upper case), always input the latest details including your new mobile number.
- Fill both fields in English (upper case) and also in the local language, as it appears on your Aadhaar card.
- Write an additional application letter stating that you need to change the mobile number since the v2 update form has no mobile option to tick.
Download the old form_v1, in which you can tick the mobile option. (not recommended).
- Enclose necessary documents (PoI & PoA) as stated in the update form_v2 in an envelope. You also need to write your Aadhaar number on every copy of the document and self-attest it.
- Finally, send it via postal (India Post) to the nearest UIDAI address mentioned in the form_v2.
- Address 1: UIDAI, Post Box No. 10, Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh – 480001, India.
- Address 2: UIDAI, Post Box No.99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad – 500034, India.
Now all you need is wait for the confirmation SMS from Aadhaar to your new mobile number. The SMS will confirm that your new mobile number and other details have been updated as per your request. The same offline postal Aadhaar update method can be used to change other details like photo, name, gender, address, and date of birth.
If you have access to the registered mobile number, then you can use UIDAI online self-service update portal to update your Aadhaar details. This includes your name, address, gender, date of birth, mobile number and email id on Aadhaar card. Hope you find this information useful. If you’ve any additional info regarding this topic, reply below.
This procedure worked at the time of writing this article. We recommend visiting a permanent Aadhaar enrollment center. Find one near your location [Enrollment Center Search].