Next time you take a ride on Uber cab, you can make payment with ease. The ride-hailing app has integrated Unified Payment Interface (UPI) payment option on its platform. This also adds as a strong backing for government’s digital initiative, cashless economy and newest payments technology by one of the global tech giants.
Currently, Uber app for android devices has the new UPI payment option enabled. You can link any of your existing UPI virtual payment address (VPA) as a payment option. You can use VPA from your banks UPI app or through government backed BHIM app or any third party UPI apps like PhonePe. Once a ride is completed, you can make payments using the new UPI payment option. The ride amount will be requested by Uber on your UPI VPA and through respective UPI apps, you can complete the payment.
Other than UPI, you can also make payment for a Uber ride via Credit card, Debit Card and Paytm. Also, iPhone users will have to wait a bit longer for UPI payment option as the integration has not yet made live on iOS platform.
How to enable UPI payment option on Uber App
- Click on the ‘Add Payment Method’ under ‘Payment’ tab in your Uber app. You will find the UPI payment option.
- To enable the UPI payment option, provide any of your existing UPI VPA (like [email protected]). The VPA can be from your banks UPI app or via BHIM app or via any third-party UPI apps.
- Uber then will request/charge Rs 1 to your UPI ID to authenticate it. Don’t worry the amount will be refunded immediately after verification.
- You will get the request (or SMS notification) on your UPI app. You then need to accept the request and authenticate the transaction.
- Once the authentication payment is done, Uber will enable UPI payment option on your account.
- Next time when you complete a Uber ride, you will have the option to make the payment via UPI.
Uber in a statement to Gadgets360 said “As a first step, we are pleased to be offering our riders the option to use their existing UPI IDs to pay for their Uber rides. As a technology driven company, we applaud the potential and impact that fin-tech innovations like UPI can make. UPI is the future of Indian payments and we are proud to be a partner in this monumental mission of the government to facilitate a digital payments led society.”
It seems Uber may be little late for the party, as it’s arch-rival OLA cabs have already integrated the UPI based payment option back in April this year. Recently Hike messenger, Truecaller and Samsung integrated UPI based wallet on their platforms. Other tech companies are also shown a keen interest in the National Payment Corporation of India’s UPI payment system. This includes Google for it’s Android Pay and other services, Apple for it’s Apple Pay and Facebook-owned WhatsApp.