With restriction easing up with “Unlock 2” during July, the Indian telecom sector is showing positive growth. According to the latest Telecom Subscription Data as on July 31, 2020, by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Indian telephone subscriber base has increased from 1160.52 million at the end of June to 1164 million at the end of July 2020. That’s a slight positive growth after almost five months of decline in the subscriber base.
The wireless subscriber base, which includes 2G, 3G and 4G users, also increased to 1144.18 million at the end of July. As always, Jio captured most of the new subscribers with a net addition of around 3.55 million subscribers. However, Vodafone Idea or Vi subscriber base dipped by around 3.72 million during this period.
Stats on Indian Telecom (July 2020)
- The number of telephone subscribers (including both wireless and wired connections) in India increased to 1,164 million.
- The total wireless subscribers, which also includes 2G, 3G and 4G LTE subscribers in the country, also increased to 1,144.18 million.
- Private telecom operators hold on Indian telecom market share increased to 89.33 per cent. Whereas, both PSU telecom operators BSNL and MTNL together hold, 10.67 per cent of the market.
- During the period, Reliance Jio added the maximum number of new subscribers to its network – 3,554,415 subscribers. Whereas, Airtel added 3,260536 new subscribers and BSNL added 388,326 new subscribers.
- On the losing side, we have Vodafone Idea losing 3,726,121 subscribers.
- Reliance Jio tops the Indian telecom sector with a clear majority of 35.03 per cent market share. Whereas, Airtel has 27.96 per cent market share and Vodafone Idea dipped to 26.34 per cent market share.
- Out of the total wireless subscribers (1,144.18 million), 955.82 million wireless subscribers were active on the date of peak VLR in July 2020.
- With more people moving to full-time work from home setup, wireline broadband is getting a new lease of life. The wireline subscriber base increased to 19.82 million in July 2020. BSNL with MTNL topped the wireline segment with 55.99 per cent market share.
- There were 7.53 million Mobile number portability (MNP) requests in July 2020.
Stats on Indian Broadband (July 2020)
- The number of broadband subscribers, which include both mobile and wired subscribers increased to 705.40 million.
- Reliance Jio tops the chart in the Indian data market with 401.96 million subscribers. Airtel takes the second spot with 155.74 million data subscribers.
- In wired broadband connections, BSNL continues to hold the top spot with 7.86 million subscribers. On the second spot, we have Airtel Broadband with 2.49 million subscribers.
- Reliance Jio with its Jio Fiber now stands at fourth spot with 1.16 million subscribers.
- In the Wireless broadband service providers rank list (based on the number of subscribers) Reliance Jio tops the chart, followed by Airtel and Vodafone India.