Continuing the push of free offers and heavily discounted data plans, Reliance Jio is just striving in the Indian telecom market. Thanks to Dhan Dhana Dhan offer, Jio has added three times more subscribers to its network when compared to rival incumbent telcos. According to the latest Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), telecom subscription data as on June 2017, Reliance Jio has successfully added around 6.02 million subscribers to its network. Thus taking the total number of subscribers on Jio network to all time high of 123.36 million. With the imminent launch of the zero priced JioPhone, Reliance Jio is looking to attract the next million customers who are either first-time mobile users or who are looking to upgrade from their feature phone.
The market leader, Airtel also expanded its subscriber base by adding around 2.04 million new subscribers to its network. Followed by state owned telecom operator BSNL adding 0.99 million new subscribers to its network. On the losing side, we have Tata (Tata Communications and Tata Docomo) which lost around 1.72 million subscribers from its network.
Highlights of Telecom Subscription (30th June 2017)
- The number of telephone subscribers in India touched 1,210.84 million with a monthly growth rate of 0.49 percent.
- Total wireless subscriber base which also includes GSM, CDMA and LTE subscribers in the country increased to 1,186.84 million.
- Private telecom operators hold 90.92 percent of Indian telecom market share. Whereas the two PSU telecom operators BSNL and MTNL have a market share of 9.08 percent.
- Reliance Jio adds the maximum number of subscribers to its network, followed by Airtel and BSNL.
- On the losing side, Tata continued to lose its subscribers followed by Reliance Communications which is on the verge of a merger with Airtel.
- Airtel still holds the top position in India telecom sector with 23.64 percent market share. Followed by Vodafone India with 17.86 percent market share and Idea Cellular with 16.54 percent market share.
- During the month of June 2017, Jammu and Kashmir telecom circle showed maximum growth rate in wireless subscribers.
- Wireline subscriber base which includes BSNL landline declined to 24.00 million.
BSNL top’s the wireline segment with 55.05 percent market share followed by Airtel with 16.17 percent market share.
- In the month of June 2017 alone a total of 5.88 million requests were received for Mobile number portability (MNP).
Highlights of Broadband Data (30th June 2017)
- The number of broadband subscribers, which include both mobile and wired subscribers increased to 300.84 million at the end of June 2017.
- Reliance Jio tops the chart in broadband data market in the country with 123.36 million subscribers. In the second spot, we have Airtel with 55.34 million data subscribers.
- Taking mobile broadband subscribers alone, Reliance Jio has around 123.36 million data subscribers. Whereas Airtel has 53.25 million subscribers and Vodafone India at third position with 41.13 million subscribers.
- On wired broadband connection, BSNL tops with 9.73 million subscribers, followed by Airtel with 2.10 million subscribers.