Reliance Jio had continued to keep its momentum of bringing in more and more subscribers to its network. Thanks to the cut-throat data tariff plans from the telco, Indian users are lured to it. Still, incumbent telcos are fighting back, with all its muscle.
According to the latest Telecom Subscription Data as on 28th February 2018 published by TRAI, Jio added more than 8.7 million subscribers to its network. Both Idea Cellular and Airtel was able to add around 4 million new subscribers to its network. Whereas, Vodafone India managed to grab 3.2 million new subscribers. State-run telco BSNL was also able to expand itself with more than 8 lakh new subscribers in the month.
Stats on Telecom Subscription (February 2018)
- The number of Telephone subscribers in India increased to 1,179.83 million.
- The total wireless subscriber which also includes GSM, CDMA and LTE subscribers in the country increased to 1,156.87 million.
- Private telecom operators hold 90.51 percent market share in Indian telecom sector. Whereas the two PSU telecom operators BSNL and MTNL hold just 9.49 percent market share.
- Reliance Jio added the maximum number of subscribers to its network, followed by Idea Cellular, Airtel, Vodafone India and BSNL.
- On the losing side, Reliance Communications (RCom) topped the chart followed by Aircel, Tata and Telenor.
- Airtel retained the top position in India telecom sector with 25.57 percent market share. Followed by Vodafone India with 18.76 percent market share and Idea Cellular with 17.47 percent market share.
- Wireline subscriber base declined to 22.97 million in February 2018. BSNL top’s the wireline segment with 53.44 percent market share, followed by Airtel with 17.09 percent market share.
- Mobile number portability (MNP) requests rised to 6.57 million in February 2018. The highest number of MNP requests till date have been received in Karnataka telecom circle.
Stats on Indian Broadband (February 2018)
- The number of broadband subscribers, which include both mobile and wired subscribers increased to 392.06 million at the end of February 2018.
- Reliance Jio tops the chart in data market in the country with 177.13 million subscribers. Airtel takes the second spot with 80.24 million data subscribers.
- In wired broadband connections, BSNL tops with 9.30 million subscribers. On the second spot, we have Airtel Broadband with 2.17 million subscribers.
- Again, in the Wireless broadband service providers ranking list (based on the number of subscribers) Reliance Jio tops the chart, followed by Airtel and Vodafone India.