With cut throat pricing and continued discounted voice and data plans, Reliance Jio is making its presence known in the Indian telecom market. The one-year-old Indian telecom operator was able to attract eight times more new subscribers to its network when compared to its closest rival telcos. According to the latest Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), telecom subscription data as on July 2017, Reliance Jio has added around 52 lakh subscribers to its network.
Comparing it to the existing Indian telecom players, Airtel also expanded its subscriber base by around 6 lakh. Whereas, state owned telecom operator BSNL also able to bring in around 3.91 lakh new subscribers to its network. With more than a million users already booked the zero priced JioPhone, Reliance Jio’s subscriber number is going to strive in the coming months.
Stats on Telecom Subscription (31st July 2017)
- The number of telephone subscribers in India declined to 1,210.71 million.
- Total wireless subscriber base which also includes GSM, CDMA and LTE subscribers in the country also declined slightly to 1,186.79 million.
- Private telecom operators hold 90.89 percent of Indian telecom market share. Whereas the two PSU telecom operators BSNL and MTNL have a market share of 9.11 percent.
- Reliance Jio adds the maximum number of subscribers to its network, followed by Airtel and BSNL.
- On the losing side, Idea Cellular topped the chart losing 23 lakh subscribers from its network. It’s followed by Tata (16 lakh) and Vodafone India (13.8 lakh).
- Airtel still holds the top position in India telecom sector with 23.70 percent market share. Followed by Vodafone India with 17.74 percent market share and Idea Cellular with 16.34 percent market share.
- During the month of July 2017, North East telecom circles showed maximum growth rate in wireless subscribers.
- Wireline subscriber base declined to 23.92 million. BSNL top’s the wireline segment with 54.57 percent market share, followed by Airtel with 16.28 percent market share.
- In the month of July 2017 alone a total of 5.91 million requests were received for Mobile number portability (MNP).
Stats on Indian Broadband (31st July 2017)
- The number of broadband subscribers, which include both mobile and wired subscribers increased to 310.87 million at the end of July 2017.
- Reliance Jio tops the chart in broadband data market in the country with 128.58 million subscribers. Airtel takes the second spot with 58.91 million data subscribers.
- Taking mobile broadband subscribers alone, Reliance Jio has around 128.58 million data subscribers. Whereas, Airtel has 56.80 million subscribers and Vodafone India at third position with 42.79 million subscribers.
- On wired broadband connection, BSNL tops with 9.66 million subscribers, a decline from the previous month. On the second spot, we have Airtel Broadband with 2.10 million subscribers.