Finally the much-awaited launch in the Indian telecom space with the really BIG announcement. Mukesh D Ambani during the 42nd Annual General Meeting of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has officially and commercially launched Reliance Jio. India’s only all IP data strong 100 percent 4G LTE network covering 18,000 cities and towns and 2 lakh villages.
Reliance Jio commercial launch will happen on 5th September 2016. The best part, all existing and new Jio 4G connection with unlimited 4G LTE data benefits, unlimited voice calls and unlimited messaging absolutely free till 31st December 2016. In addition, the Jio apps subscription (which also include the Hotstar premium subscription) will be free till 31st December 2017.
No, the offers have not stopped yet, the biggest announcement is yet to come. With Reliance Jio you only need to pay for one service. So you need to pay either for voice or data, but for Jio it will be only 4G LTE data, as for voice calling it users VoLTE. On the way, all voice calls to anywhere in India to any telecom network will be free. That definitely going to hurt the rival telecom operators a lot.
Also, there are no more virtual barriers, so there won’t be any roaming charges either. One India forever, with no charges on incoming and outgoing voice calls/data charges anywhere in India.
Another important announcement is the digital e-KYC Aadhaar card verification, so now it only takes only 15 minutes to get your Jio SIM activated. In addition, there won’t be any more black-out days, so you won’t be charged extra on Holi, Diwali or any public holidays.
To attract the young blood of India, Jio will be offering 25 percent extra 4G LTE data benefits on all Jio plans. You just need to present a valid student ID card while taking the Jio connection.
Jio free welcome offer
As Reliance Jio goes commercial on 5th September 2016, the company is inviting every Indian to try out their service with the ‘Free Welcome Offer‘. What’s packed in it? the free Jio 4G SIM will come bundled with unlimited 4G LTE data usage, unlimited voice minutes to any network, messages and unlimited usage on Jio apps. On the way, all offers will be valid until 31st December 2016 and after that, you need to choose any of the ten Jio plans.
- Free Reliance Jio 4G SIM.
- Free unlimited 4G LTE data benefits.
- Free unlimited voice minutes to anywhere in India to any telecom network.
- Free Messaging (SMS).
- Free unlimited access to Jio’s suite of apps – including Jio Play, JioChat, JioOnDemand, JioBeats, JioMags, JioXpressNews, JioDrive, JioJoin, JioMoney, JioSecurity, and JioNews
- Offer valid till 31st December 2016.
This will surely make the people more data savvy and push their mindset for high-speed internet connection. Also, on the other hand, Reliance Jio can now do extensive testing of its state-of-art 4G LTE network across India.
Reliance Jio Voice & Data Tariff plans
Now on to the main question, how much do I need to pay monthly on joining Jio. Well, all voice calls to anywhere and to any telecom network are free forever. For super high-speed 4G LTE data, the price starts as low as Rs 50 per 1GB of 4G data benefits.
Jio subscribers can choose from ten plans priced between Rs 149 to all way up to Rs 5000 per month. The 4G data rates are from 5 paise per MB or Rs 50 per GB. The company promises that the more data your use the lower per GB rate they need to pay. Every plan will come with unlimited voice calls, SMS and access to Jio’s suite of apps.
The basic plan termed ‘S’ will cost Rs 149 per months and comes with free unlimited voice calls (Local and STD) to any network, Jio Apps subscription worth Rs 1250, 0.3GB 4G data benefits, 100 SMS per day and comes with a validity of 28 days.
The top-tier Jio Plan is the ‘XXXL’ plan which will cost Rs 4999 per month and comes with unlimited voice calls (Local and STD) to any network, Jio Apps subscription worth Rs 1250, 75GB + unlimited 4G data usage on night, unlimited SMS, 150GB of 4G data usage on JioNet hotspot and comes with a validity of 28 days.
|Jio Plan Tariff*||Rs 19||Rs 129||Rs 149||Rs 499||Rs 999||Rs 1499||Rs 2499||Rs 3999||Rs 4999|
|Free voice||Unlimited local/STD calls||Unlimited local/STD calls||Unlimited local/STD calls||Unlimited local/STD calls||Unlimited local/STD calls||Unlimited localSTD calls||Unlimited local/STD calls||Unlimited local/STD calls||Unlimited local/STD calls|
|4G Data benefits||100MB||750MB||300MB||4GB + unlimited 4G at night*||10GB + unlimited 4G at night*||20GB + unlimited 4G at night*||35GB + unlimited 4G at night*||60GB + unlimited 4G at night*||75GB + unlimited 4G at night*|
|Jio Apps subscription||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free|
|SMS||100 per day||100 per day||100 per month||Unlimited SMS||Unlimited SMS||Unlimited SMS||Unlimited SMS||Unlimited SMS||Unlimited SMS|
|WiFi (JioNet Hotspot)||200MB||1.5GB||No||8GB||20GB||40GB||70GB||120GB||150GB|
|Validity of pack (days)||1 day||7 days||28 days||28 days||28 days||28 days||28 days||28 days||28 days|
* In case of post-paid plans, MRP is exclusive of applicable taxes *Unlimited 4G LTE data – night time (2am to 5am)
So note except the S Jio plan all other plans will have unlimited night 4G data usage and additional data benefits on using JioNet Wi-Fi hotspots. On the way, the company is planning to deploy nearly 1 million JioNet Wi-Fi hotspots across India.
Summary of Reliance Jio launch event
- Reliance Jio to go commercially live on 5th September 2016.
- Jio Data, Voice, SMS and the full suite of Jio applications and content will be available for everyone, absolutely free till 31st December 2016.
- Jio is India’s only all-IP, data-strong, made-for-mobile-video, Only 4G LTE network.
- Instant eKYC digital activations of Jio SIM.
- No black-out days extra charges.
- Jio Apps subscription worth Rs 15,000 free for new and existing customers till 31st December of 2017.
- LYF 4G LTE with VoLTE ready smartphones starts at Rs 2,999 and JioFi WiFi hotspot device starts at Rs 1,999.
- Free voice calling to anywhere in India to any network for VoLTE capable devices. For non VoLTE devices, data is needed for Jio Join app to make calls.
- No domestic roaming charges.
- 4G data starts at Rs 50 per GB.
- There will be only 10 Jio tariff plans starting from Rs 19 and goes up to Rs 4999.
- Students will get 25% more extra data benefits and incentives.
Reliance Jio has launched in the Indian telecom market like a storm. Now we need to wait and see how the current top telecom operators especially Airtel, Vodafone and Idea Cellular reacts to it.