OnePlus has started pushing out incremental roll-out of Android 8.0 Oreo-based Oxygen OS 5 OTA for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T devices. This seems a good treat for the desperate users of these devices who were waiting for the official update since the release of Android Oreo. Even their latest devices OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T won’t be getting the taste of Oreo until 2018. Let’s see the changelog and how to get the update asap.
How To Update OnePlus 3/3T to Oreo
The update weighs about 1489 MB , so make sure you have enough free space and data pack. Since the update is being rolled out in stages, it may not be available in your region yet. Follow the procedure to get the Oxygen OS 5 update.
- Go to settings, System updates, Check for updates.
- If available download and install or else move to next step.
- Download and install Opera VPN.
- Open the VPN app, select a region eg: Canada.
- Now repeat steps 1 and 2, download and install the update.
- Try other regions if the update still doesn’t show up.
Oxygen OS 5 Changelog
- Updated to Android O (8.0)
- Added Parallel Apps and Picture in Picture
- Added Auto-fill and Smart text selection
- New Quick Settings design
- Updated security patch to September
- Added notification dots
- New app folder design
- Now able to upload photos directly to Shot on OnePlus
Basic FAQs for Oxygen OS OTA Update
- My download gets failed repeatedly, why?
Use a faster internet connection, other than mobile data.
- Is it safe to use VPN to get OTA or wait for normal OTA?
So far we haven’t experienced any issues by using VPN.
- My download got stuck and can’t be resumed, what to do?
1) Go to settings>apps>enable show system apps>find “system update”>clear data/cache>now redownload.
2) Go to file manager>enable show hidden files>locate One plus h2o> delete the incomplete file>now redownload.
- How to enable notification dots feature?
Go to settings>apps>special access>notification access>select one plus launcher.
- These are some basic solutions related to the update. Head over to OnePlus or XDA forum to get answers for more.
What is New?
So now that you have got the latest Oreo let’s recap some features in the changelog. The parallel app is a feature that lets you run multiple instances of the same app at the same time. You can find the app compatibility with this feature in settings>apps>parallel apps. The Picture in Picture feature lets you see two apps at once, for e.g. you can minimize a video call to check your schedules.
The Auto-fill remembers your app logins just like a browser saving website password. Smart text selection helps you to select relevant part of a text by double tapping anywhere on it. You can check out more of the latest features in the Oreo launch post.
While Oreo is out, OnePlus might be putting an end to the software upgrade support for OnePlus 3/3T devices. They have already confirmed about this in a statement that Android Oreo is the last big update for OnePlus3/3T devices. However, company still assures for security and app updates for a foreseeable future. Hope you enjoyed the article, Peace!