Finally the home-grown mobile vendor Micromax has become the leading smartphone supplier brand in India, beating out the global leader Samsung. According to a market research conducted by Counterpoint Research, during the second quarter of 2014, Micromax captured 16.6% of India handset shipment share, followed by Samsung with 14.4 % share.
Micromax also become the leading feature phone supplier in India overtaking the long time topper Nokia for the first time. It also became the tenth largest mobile brand in the world in terms of mobile phone shipment volumes. Other key insights from the report –
- Smartphone market share in India showing around 68% growth annually, but when taking overall mobile phone segment, grew a modest 2% annually.
- Smartphone sales mostly driven by local vendors like Micromax, Karbonn, Celkon etc. Indian mobile vendors captured more than two-thirds of the total mobile phone shipments and more than half of the smartphone shipments
- Samsung still remains the largest smartphone vendor in India with 25.3% market share, followed by Micromax with 19.1% market share and Karbonn with 5.1% market share.
- Top five smartphone vendors in India include – Samsung, Micromax, Karbonn, Motorola and Nokia.
- Motorola with its Moto X, Moto G and Moto E captured a significant Indian mobile market share, becoming fourth largest smartphone vendor in India.