Keeping up the momentum super strong, even during the middle of COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, Reliance Jio has been massively adding subscribers to its telecom network – both mobile and wired fiber broadband network. According to the latest Telecom Subscription Data as on June 30, 2020, by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) the telco’s broadband unit, Jio Fiber has crossed the 1 million mark and now has 1.06 million subscribers. Wheres, its mobile service added 4.49 million new subscribers during the same period.
Except for Jio, every telecom operator lost millions of subscribers during the same period. This trend would probably attribute to the increasing data demand during the lockdown and Jio’s cut-throat data plans pulling people into it.
Stats on Indian Telecom (June 2020)
- The number of telephone subscribers (including both wireless and wired connections) in India decreased to 1,160.52 million.
- The total wireless subscribers, which also includes 2G, 3G and 4G LTE subscribers in the country, also decreased to 1,140.71 million.
- Private telecom operators hold on Indian telecom market share increased to 89.33 per cent. Whereas, both PSU telecom operators BSNL and MTNL together hold 10.67 per cent of the market.
- During the period, Reliance Jio continued to add new subscribers to its network – 4,499,474 subscribers.
- On the losing side, we have all the other three telcos – Vodafone Idea (4.82 million), Airtel (1.12 million) and BSNL (1.74 million).
- Reliance Jio tops the Indian telecom sector with a clear majority of 34.82 per cent market share. Whereas, Airtel share dropped to 27.76 per cent market share and Vodafone Idea to around 26.75 per cent market share.
- Out of the total wireless subscribers (1,140.71 million), 958 million wireless subscribers were active on the date of peak VLR in June 2020.
- For the first time in years, the wireline subscriber base increased to 19.81 million in June 2020. BSNL with MTNL topped the wireline segment with 56.84 per cent market share.
- However, Reliance Jio with its Jio Fiber is expanding rapidly, and it has crossed the 1 million mark during the month. The telco now commands 2.33 per cent of the wireline segment.
- There was 5.83 million Mobile number portability (MNP) requests in June 2020.
Stats on Indian Broadband (June 2020)
- The number of broadband subscribers, which include both mobile and wired subscribers increased to 698.23 million.
- Reliance Jio tops the chart in the Indian data market with 398.31 million subscribers. Airtel takes the second spot with 151.30 million data subscribers.
- In wired broadband connections, BSNL continues to hold the top spot with 7.90 million subscribers. On the second spot, we have Airtel Broadband with 2.47 million subscribers.
- Reliance Jio with its Jio Fiber is closing in and now stands at fourth spot with 1.06 million subscribers.
- In the Wireless broadband service (3G, 4G) providers, rank list (based on the number of subscribers) Reliance Jio tops the chart, followed by Airtel and Vodafone India.