Indian broadband subscribers are growing at a rapid phase, according to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) report as on 30th November, 2014, India got around 82.22 million broadband subscribers at the end of November 2014 when compared to the 79.21 million subscribers at the end of October 2014, thereby showing a monthly growth of 3.79 %.
The broadband data include subscribers from both wired connection, wireless subscribers using mobile devices and dongles, and other wireless connection including Wi-Fi, Wi-Max, Point-to-Point Radio and VSAT with a minimum downloading speed of 512Kbps. Govt owned telecom operator BSNL still hold the upper hand in the broadband segment with 22.74% market share, but closely followed by Bharti Airtel with 22.10% market share and Vodafone India with 18.98% market share.
Other interesting points from the Telephone Subscription by TRAI –
- India got 964.20 million telephone subscribers at the end of November, 2014 and out of this 937.06 million are wireless or mobile (GSM, CDMA & FWP) subscribers.
- This time Reliance Communication losses the most subscribers with 4.2 million, followed by BSNL with 2.3 million subscribers
- On the gaining side Idea Cellular added more than 2.5 million subscribers to their network, followed by Vodafone adding 2.3 million new subscribers
- Bharti Airtel still hold the top position in Indian telecom market with 22.99% share, followed by Vodafone India with 18.97% share and Idea cellular with 15.79% market share.
- There is a sharp rise in Mobile Number Portability (MNP) request, as the requests increased from 135.86 million at the end of October, 2014 to 139.49 million at the end of November, 2014. Thus a total of 3.64 million subscribers submitted their requests for MNP.
- Wireline subscriber base declined to 27.14 million at the end of November, 2014 with BSNL and MTNL losing the most.
- Top five Wired broadband service providers are BSNL with 9.98 million subscribers followed by Bharti Airtel, MTNL, Beam Telecom and YOU Broadband.
- Top five Wireless broadband service providers are Bharti Airtel with 16.77 million subscribers followed by Vodafone, Idea Cellular, BSNL and Reliance Communications.