To make the full utilisation of Information Technology, Railway Minister, Mallikarjun Kharge had introduced several new initiatives to bring modern experience to customers in the interim railway budget today. Some of the initiative include booking meals on train online, PNR status updates through SMS, train ticket booking through mobile in the unreserved segment and more Automatic Ticket Vending machines.
On today’s budget, passenger and freight rates remained unchanged while Minister did announced 17 new premium trains, 39 express trains and ten passenger trains.
Details on the tech side announcements during the Railway budget –
- Passengers can now book meals on trains online for selected en-route stations.
- Passengers will now get PNR status update through system generated SMS (only confirmed PNR status update are sent through SMS).
- Users can book tickets for unreserved seats through mobile phones.
- more installation of cash accepting Automatic Ticket Vending Machines.
- updates for train running information
- Online booking of retiring rooms at all important stations.
- Introduction of e-forwarding note and electronic transmission of railway receipts for freight customers, which will enable users to carry out freight business with Railways from the comfort of their homes and offices.
- computerization of claims settlement process on Indian Railways.