Did you know? India now got 1 billion (exactly 1,002.05 million) telephone subscribers which includes both mobile subscribers and landline (wireline) subscribers. According to the latest telecom subscription data published by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), as on 31st May 2015, India passes 1 billion telephone subscribers milestone. The total comprises of 975.78 million wireless subscribers and 26.27 million wireline subscribers.
Here some interesting data from Telephone Subscription data (as on 31st May, 2015) by TRAI –
- India got 975.78 million wireless or mobile (GSM, CDMA & FWP) subscribers, an increase of 0.25% from previous month.
- Taking more grip on the telecom sector private telecom operators hold 91.68% market share, whereas Govt owned telecom operator BSNL & MTNL jointly hold only 8.32% market share.
- Bharti Airtel holds the top position in Indian telecom market with 23.51% share, followed by Vodafone India with 18.96% share and Idea cellular with 16.44% market share.
- On the gaining side Idea Cellular added more than 2.25 million new subscribers to their network, followed by Bharti Airtel with 2.1 million subscribers and Telewings (Uninor) with 0.92 million new subscribers.
- On the losing end Reliance Communication (RCom) losses around 1.11 million mobile subscribers, followed by Tata teleservices (Tata Docomo) with 0.92 million subscribers.
- Mobile Number Portability (MNP) request increased from 157.01 million at the end of April 2015 to 157.01 million at the end of May, 2015. Thus a total of 3.24 million subscribers submitted their requests for MNP. With national MNP announced on July, we would see a sharp rise in the MNP request in the coming months.
- Wireline subscriber base declined to 26.27 million at the end of May 2015 with BSNL and MTNL losing the most.
- Top five wired broadband service providers are BSNL with 9.90 million subscribers followed by Bharti Airtel, MTNL, Beam Telecom and YOU Broadband.
- Top five Wireless broadband service providers are Bharti Airtel with 21.93 million subscribers followed by Vodafone, Idea Cellular, BSNL and Reliance Communications.