To be safe from sharing your personal mobile number with an unknown person in the mobile recharge outlets. India’s third largest telecom operator Idea Cellular will complete its roll-out of Private recharge service to its pan-India mobile subscribers by March 2017.
Private recharge is something we all must utilise, especially girls and women mobile subscribers. The service lets you protect your privacy by not sharing your mobile number with the person in mobile recharge outlets. Instead of sharing your mobile number, you can generate an OTP (one-time password) and share that with the person in mobile recharge outlets. The person can then use the OTP to recharge your Idea connection.
Idea Private Recharge
- From your Idea mobile connection, SMS ‘Code‘ to toll-free number 55515.
- You will instantly get an OTP which is valid until midnight of the same day.
- To recharge, share the OTP with the retailer in the recharge outlet instead of your mobile number.
- In addition, you can use the same OTP multiple time for recharging your mobile in a day.
- There is no extra cost for availing the Private Recharge service by Idea mobile subscribers.
“On the occasion of International Women’s Day, Idea Cellular is reiterating its commitment to women’s safety with the ‘Private Recharge’ feature on its V-Top up system,” Idea Cellular said in a statement.
The operator first rolled out the Private recharge service in Kerala telecom circles in August 2016. Under a period of six months, the service has been rolled out across 14 telecom circles in the country. The operator plans to complete the pan-India roll out of the service by 31st March 2017.
Recently, Vodafone India launched a similar service called Private Recharge Mode as part of its ‘Vodafone Sakhi’ initiative. The free of cost service provided by Vodafone enables you to recharge your Vodafone mobile connection without sharing the mobile number with the recharge outlets.