We all know hike for the cross-platform smartphone messaging app. Now the developers at hike have built an android based operating system which can work without data. This brand new product is called ‘Total, Built By Hike‘ and will come pre-installed with entry-level smartphones of partner brands. So does it really need no data? let’s find out.
What is ‘Total, Built By Hike’?
Total By Hike is a refined version of android created by Hike. Total will let users access essential services such as Messaging, News, Recharge and more even without an active data connection. With this, Hike aims to bring the majority of smartphone users in India online. Since this is implemented in a smartphone running Android, you can still use regular data and access Google Play Store for installing favorite apps.
How does ‘Total, Built By Hike’ work?
‘Total By Hike’ uses USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) codes for communication. However, according to them, this will be a kind of Supercharged USSD using a patented UTP (Universal Transfer Protocol). This UTP will have smart compression offering better speeds, reliability, accuracy, and security. By implementing UTP, the services with star badges on Total can run with complete User Interface as if they were running on internet data.
Features Of ‘Total, Built By Hike’
- Single Login: A Single Login with the Phone Number for all of ‘Total’ services such as Messaging, News, Horoscope, Recharge, Wallet(UPI), Cricket Scores and Rail information.
- Light Services < 100 kb to 1 MB: Services on ‘Total, built by hike’ take between < 100 kb to 1 MB ensuring a lightweight footprint on the device.
- Works without Data: All the services built on Total can be accessed even without Data via proprietary UTP technology.
- Sachet Data Packs: Users will be able to purchase Sachet Data Packs starting as low as Re. 1 from inside the Total experience itself with the goal of lowering the cost of access and introducing people to data.
Services Offered in ‘Total, Built By Hike’
Total comes pre-installed with services which can be recognized with STAR badge. As mentioned earlier, these include Messaging, Hike Wallet, Cricket, Recharge, News, Rail info, and Horoscopes.
- Messaging: You can send and receive messages, stickers, emojis, location, contacts and much more without data.
- Hike Wallet: You can add money to wallet using UPI, send and receive money using UPI without data.
- Horoscope: Get daily predictions for any zodiac sign and check Kundli matches without data.
- Rail Info: Search for trains, Check PNR status and track trains without data.
- Recharge: Recharge and pay postpaid bills using Hike wallet without data.
How To Get ‘Total, Built By Hike’?
‘Total By Hike’ is in early stages and will make the first appearance on entry-level smartphones from Intex and Karbon. Starting 1st March 2018, select models of smartphones from these brands will hit the shelves. Airtel, Vodafone, Aircel & BSNL are the telecom partners who worked closely with Hike for implementing USSD technology and Data Upsell on Total. Learn more and contribute to ‘Total, Built By Hike’ here.
- Intex Aqua Lions N1
- Intex Aqua Lions T1
- Intex Aqua Lions T1-Lite and
- Karbonn A40 Indian.
‘Total, Built By Hike’ is meant for developing nations like India, where data is still expensive. Moreover, Total requires very little knowledge for handling smartphones, ie fewer steps to get a new smartphone up and running. Hike team is expecting that the potential of Total will create an impact in India as well as other developing nations. Hope the article was informative, Peace!