During the Android Jelly Bean launch, Google introduced ‘Google Now‘ a new form of personal search assistant feature. It’s a card-based search assistant that takes your location, search history and the time into effect to present you with information’s that is custom-tailored to your needs. For example Google Now brings you what today’s weather will be like before you start your day, how much traffic to expect before you leave for work, the next train as you’re standing on the platform and even your favorite team’s score while they’re playing.
Google Now provide the personalized information in the form of cards, which can be accessed by swiping up from the bottom of the Android home screen. Google Now is getting started with 10 different cards, with more to come. Cards appear throughout the day at the moment you need them, all happening automatically. Thus it just not a personal assistant (just like Siri, accept the voice thing ) but also regularly alert you to new information based on your needs. Here the information is finding you by studying your activity on Google services. Some of the interesting Google Now cards include:
- Traffic – Get traffic conditions and alternate routes before you leave for work. Google Now also puts traffic to your next likely destination at your fingertips. This information is shown based on current location, location history and web history of the user.
- Public transit – When you’re near a bus stop or a subway station, Google Now tells you what buses or trains are next. This card only shown if location services enabled.
- Sports – Google Now keeps you updated on your favorite sports teams in real-time, with live scores and upcoming games. You can even can buy game tickets on the fly.
- Weather – When you start your day, Google Now shows weather for your current location and work.
- Next appointment – When you have an appointment, Google Now checks traffic so you can know how long it’ll take to get there. You even get a notification for when you should leave.
- Flights – Google Now keeps you up to date on flight delays and traffic conditions to the airport for flights you’ve recently searched for.
- Places – When you’re on the go, Google Now will suggest nearby bars, restaurants, and places of interest. You can quickly jump to Google Maps to get more info, reviews, or even make a reservation.
- Translation – Google Now helps you find just the right word when you’re away from home.
- Currency – Use Google Now to quickly check the local conversion rate when you’re traveling.
- Time at home – When you’re in a different time zone, Google Now shows you the time at home so you never feel too far away.
Currently Google Now is available only on smartphones running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Want to learn more, head over to Google Now landing page, where you will get more insight on it.
On the go watch the video on Google Now-