Google has added yet another functionality to their android messaging app to compete with iMessage. We are not talking about the normal SMS app in your phone, but the Android Messages app by Google LLC. The new feature is called ‘Messages for Web’, which allows you to check your messages on your computer. Let us see how to enable this feature on the Android Messages app.
How To Use Messages For Web
- Download and install the Android Messages from Playstore.
- Launch the app and make it the default SMS/Messaging app.
- Your phone and computer need an active data connection.
- Visit this Url on your computer – messages.android.com
- Now on your Android Messages app, tap the three dots on the top right.
- Choose ‘Messages for Web’, grant permission to access the camera.
- Scan the QR code shown on your computer with the phone.
- When everything is set, the phone will vibrate.
Features Of Messages For Web
The functionality is similar to services like WhatsApp web, but in this case, the carrier SMS charges are applicable. Messages for Web caches your contact, conversations and other settings in your browsers. If you opted for remember PC option, you will only be logged out after 14 days for security reasons.
You can also manually log out from Messages for web either from the app or from the computer. Messages for web use notifications like red dot and number of unread messages near the favicon on the browser tab. To reduce eye strain, you can also switch to dark on high contrast modes from the web app settings on your computer.
The Android Messages is a good app with which you can send and receive text messages, photos, voice messages, and video. The newly added Messages for Web functionality makes it more convenient. If the feature is not yet available on your phone, please be patient, Google is rolling it out gradually.
Meanwhile, there are lots of third-party apps which offer tons of features like backup and restore messages, blocking, themes, sorting, reminders etc. One such SMS/Messaging app is the SMS Organizer from Microsoft and we would recommend this app anytime. Hope the article was informative, Peace!