In India, we have more than 937 million wireless/mobile subscribers (according to TRAI) and yet only a few millions have access to the wonderful world of Internet. To bring internet access to more than a billion people in India, Facebook has joined hands with one of India’s top telecom operator Reliance Communication to launch Internet.org app.
Through Internet.org app, RCom customers will have free access to around 33 websites and services ranging from news, health, travel, jobs, sports, communication, and local government services. As always customers will also be able to enjoy free access to Facebook.
List of free websites under this service include
- News website – Aaj Tak, amarujala.com, Daily Bhaskar, IBNLive, India Today, Jagran, Maalai Malar, Maharashtra Times, manoramanews.com, NDTV, Newshunt, Times of India, BBC News
- Local Government – AP Speaks,
- Education – Dictionary.com, iLearn, Internet Basics, Jagran Josh, Wikipedia, wikiHow
- Health & Social Welfare – BabyCenter & MAMA, Facts for Life, Girl Effect, Malaria No More, Socialblood
- Jobs – Babajob, TimesJobs
- Sports – ESPN Cricinfo
- Utility – Facebook, Cleartrip, Bing Search, AccuWeather, HungamaPlay, Messenger, OLX, Reliance Astrology, Reuters Market Lite, Translator
Currently RCom customers in six telecom circles including Tamil Nadu, Mahararashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Kerala, and Telangana can access this free websites. Customers can access these services either through Internet.org Android app (www.internet.org) or through start screen of the Opera Mini mobile web browser or using UC Browser.