To make India digitally empowered along with improving digital infrastructure and offering better e-governance, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Digital India program. The programme being run by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) in collaboration with various Central Ministries/Departments and State Governments. The Digital India initiative involves building digital infrastructure as a utility to every citizen, e-governance and service on-demand and digital empowerment of people.
The Digital India programme aim to offer broadband highways, Public WiFi hotspots, eKranti, electronics manufacturing, early harvest programmes and more. Here some of the most highlighted initiatives from Digital India programme –
- DIGILocker [digitallocker.gov.in] – It is a dedicated personal storage space that’s linked to each persons Aadhaar number. One can use the storage to securely store e-documents like Pan card, certificates and other Govt issue documents, which can be easily shared across Govt agencies. This would minimize the usage of physical documents and will provide authenticity of the e-documents. One can also use the e-Sign facility that can be used to digitally sign e-documents.
- Next Generation Network (NGN) – Govt owned telecom operator BSNL will replace its 30 year old exchanges to an IP-based technology that can manage all types of services including voice, data and other types of packet switched communication services.
- Bharat Net – a high-speed digital highway that will connect 2.5 lakh Gram Panchayats in the country. This would become world’s largest rural broadband connectivity project using optical fibre.
- MyGov mobile app [myGov.in] – An mobile app for the myGov.in website that allow people to engage in governance by discussions and disseminate their thoughts on various issues.
- eSign framework – the framework allow people to digitally and securely sign a document online using Aadhaar authentication.
- eHospital – an online registration system (ORS) that offers citizens with online registration, payment of fees and book appointments, online diagnostic reports, enquiring availability of blood online etc.
- National Scholarships Portal [scholarships.gov.in] – that offers a one stop solution for getting scholarship, right from submission of student application, verification, sanction and disbursal to end beneficiary for all the scholarships provided by the Government of India.
- Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) Mobile app – a mobile app that can be used people and Government organizations for achieving the goals of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Digitize India Platform (DIP) – an initiative for large-scale digitization of records that would allow efficient delivery of services to the citizens.
- Public Wi-Fi hotspots – BSNL will deploy Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the country across public places, schools, universities, tourist places etc.
- BPO centres in different North Eastern states and also in smaller towns of other India states.
- Electronics Development Fund (EDF) – an initiative to encourage Innovation, R&D, and Product Development in the country. Along with it Govt is also looking to create a resource pool of IP within the country to create a self-sustaining eco-system of Venture Funds.
- National Centre for Flexible Electronics (NCFlexE) – an initiative to promote research and innovation in the emerging area of Flexible Electronics
- E-education – it aims to provide high-tech education using technology like smartphones, apps and Internet services.