With telecom operators trying to buy spectrum to plug the coverage gap in their 3G network, the day four of spectrum auction 2016, saw the majority of bidding for the 1800 MHz band. Still, we have no takers for the premium 700 MHz and 900 MHz bands.
After the fourth day and 23 rounds of bidding, telecom operators committed to purchase Rs 63,500 crore worth of spectrum. According to the report released by Department of Telecommunications (DoT), the day four saw minimal bidding on 800 MHz, 2,100 MHz, and 2,500 MHz bands.
Day 4 report on Spectrum Auction 2016
- 6 rounds of bidding on day 4 taking the total rounds to 23.
- A total of 956.8 MHz spectrum have been sold so far out of a total 2,354 MHz of spectrum government put up for its biggest auction.
- No bids for 700 MHz and 900 MHz bands.
- 850 MHz band – new bids in Punjab and Rajasthan telecom circle.
- 1800 MHz band – new bids in Mumbai and Uttar Pradesh east telecom circles.
- 2100 MHz band – no new bids for this band.
- 2300 MHz band – no new bids for this band.
- 2500 MHz band – Very low activity with new bids in Bihar telecom circle.