It’s the time of the year when we get interesting insight and consumption patterns on Indian telecom users from India’s top telecom operator Bharti Airtel. Tracking the mobile customer preferences, Bharti Airtel released this years ‘Airtel Mobitude 2013‘survey report based on surveying its 190 million strong customer base. This is the only annual survey of its kind in India that captures customer preferences through their mobile usage patterns and trends among customers across India.
This year Mobile TV saw a whooping 400% increase in viewership, Bollywood single-handedly rules the content downloads with Sunny Leone topping the chart, Re 1 entertainment store become a hit among rural India with music, image and gaming.
- Data consumption among users jumped to 220% along with a 124% increase in data users mainly driven by double fold increase in smart phone users. 3G enabled devices contributed to nearly 87% of the data traffic.
- iOS and Windows customers are among the most using data traffic with Android devices lagging behind. Data usage on bigger screen devices ( 5.5inch plus screen) increased to 123% in the last two quarters alone while that of up to 3.5’ jumped less than 30%.
- Google continues its domination among the Indian users becoming the most visited site in terms of unique users followed by YouTube and Facebook. Google domination may be also due to the launch of Free Zone for Airtel customers where they can have free access to Google mobile services at absolutely no data charges.
- Mobile TV viewership rise up 400% over 2012, mainly due to increase in 3G subscriber base and wider coverage. Entertainment channels ruled the scene with viewership of 800% over sports, and about 200% over news. Sony topped the channel list followed by Aaj Tak, Zoom, UTV Movies, and Star Plus.
- On to the Bollywood world Sunny Leone topped the chart of most downloaded actor both in female and combined category with a whopping 300% more downloads than even Shahrukh Khan and other Bollywood divas Katrina Kaif and Deepika Padukone.
- Under the image download section the top five female celebrities where Sunny Leone, Sherlyn Chopra, Priyanka Chopra, Parineeti Chopra and Poonam Pandey. On to the male celebrities young superstars Ranbir Kapoor, Shahid Kapoor and Ranveer Singh topped the chart followed by King Khan Shahrukh and Salman Khan.
- While looking on to the Song preferences Tum Hi Ho from Aashiqui2 tooped the Bollywood Hello Tunes chart followed by Saans from Jab Tak Hain Jaan and Jeene Laga Hoon from Ramaiya Vastavaiya. Exotic by Priyanka Chopra was among the most downloaded English songs.
- In the sports section the GOD of Cricket Sachin Tendulkar ruled charts with a whopping 124% jump in download compared to last years when he was on 2nd position, followed by Roger Federe, Serena Williams, Sania Mirza and Saina Nehwal.
- Airtel’s innovative Re 1 entertainment store become a hit among customers in rural India with music, image and gaming downloads. With devotional content witnessing popularity along with celebrities like Brinda Parikh, Sherlyn Chopra and Sunny Leone.
- Dabangg2 topped charts as the most viewed movie on Airtel Video Talkies, while Bol Bacchan led on Airtel Audio Talkies. Sholay continues to be an all time favourite among ‘Airtel Audio Talkies’.