Bharti Airtel today announced the launch of its mCommerce service in Chennai – airtel money. This unique offering empowers customers to make cashless payments through the mobile phone – in a fast, easy and secure manner. Following its launch in Gurgaon (National Capital Region) earlier this year, Airtel customers in Chennai are the second in India to benefit from this exciting new service that will enable over the counter and remote transactions via mobile handsets.
To ensure wide acceptance of payments through airtel money, the company has established deep partnerships with over 750 prominent merchants across Chennai – including Oriental Cuisines (Benjarong, Zara, Cascade and French Loaf), Univercell, Poorvika, Inox, Bharti AXA and LIC. Airtel customers will be able to pay bills, shop and make payments at these outlets without worrying about the need to carry cash or change.
Mr. Rajiv Rajgopal, CEO-Kerala & Tamil Nadu, Mobile Services, Bharti Airtel said “We are excited to offer airtel money to our 3 mn mobile customers in Chennai. This product is a new milestone in our journey towards enriching the lives of our customers. We firmly believe that it will be warmly welcomed and will transform the way the city transacts.”
Customers will also be entitled to special discounts and schemes that will be applicable exclusively for transactions made through airtel money. As an introductory and limited period offer, current Airtel mobile and DTH customers can now use airtel money to make payments and benefit from the following exclusive offers:
- Prepaid – Special talktime offers on recharge denominations of Rs. 75 and Rs. 99 through airtel money
- Postpaid – 5% discount on bill value upon payment via airtel money
- DTH – 5% extra value on recharge of greater than Rs. 500 for airtel money payments
How can you use airtel money?
- Load cash: Load cash on your Airtel mobile by visiting your nearest Airtel retail outlet.
- Pay bills & recharge: You will be able to use this cash in your mobile for making bill payments (electricity, gas, financial services, Airtel services etc.) and recharge
- Shop & make payments: Instead of cash, pay over-the-counter merchants such as your nearest kirana store, chemist, etc using your mobile phone. You can even sit at home and pay for services like booking movie tickets online
To register for airtel money…
- Register by filling in the application form and submitting KYC documents (proof-of-identity, proof-of-address and a passport size photograph) at any of Airtel’s authorized shops.
- Your existing Airtel SIM will be upgraded to the new 64K Airtel SIM with airtel money at no additional cost.
- After the retailer registers your airtel money wallet, set your mPIN to ensure a completely secured wallet
- Load cash into your airtel money account by visiting your nearest airtel money cash in point
- You are now ready to use the airtel money application on your phone to transact anytime, anywhere at our predefined set of merchant outlets