India’s largest telecom operator Airtel is expanding its 4G VoLTE footprint to catch up with the rival Reliance Jio. After commencing operation of its 4G VoLTE service in Mumbai, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh telecom circles, the operator has now launched its VoLTE services in Maharashtra and Goa telecom circle.
Both Prepaid and Postpaid mobile subscribers of Airtel can enjoy VoLTE facility. You only need to have an Airtel 4G SIM and 4G VoLTE supported smartphone to avail the VoLTE service. The service has been offered to customers at no additional cost. You will be able to make high definition (HD) quality voice calls and video calls to both mobile and landline numbers across India. Charges for Airtel VoLTE calls will be the same as per your existing plan or pack benefits.
“We are delighted to launch VoLTE and add yet another service to our portfolio enabling customers to make the most of their mobile phone experience on our world-class 4G network across Maharashtra and Goa. With VoLTE, customers can now enjoy seamless and high-quality voice calls on our robust 4G network,” said Rohit Marwha, Chief Executive Officer – Maharashtra & Goa, Bharti Airtel.
Airtel VoLTE features faster call connection, that’s almost three times faster than normal 3G or 2G calls. You will be able to use 4G internet connection at the same time you are making a VoLTE calls. The best part, in the case of non-availability of Airtel 4G network, VoLTE calls will be automatically fall back to Airtel’s 3G or 2G network. This will ensure your voice calls stay connected always at any network condition.
HOW TO ACTIVATE AIRTEL VOLTE SERVICES
- You need to first verify your smartphone is compatible with Airtel VoLTE services. Currently, only a few smartphone models support Airtel VoLTE. But, mobile vendors are already pushing an update to activate the Airtel VoLTE on their devices.
- Ensure you have Airtel 4G SIM (you can upgrade to Airtel 4G SIM by visiting the nearest Airtel store). For dual SIM mobiles, the Airtel SIM should be inserted in the SIM slot with 4G data capability.
- Verify that the VoLTE voice calling feature has been enabled on your smartphone under your mobiles network settings.
- Once everything in place, you will see the Airtel VoLTE enabled on your device.
Airtel VoLTE supported Smartphones
Currently, only a few smartphones support Airtel 4G VoLTE. This includes popular smartphones from Apple, Samsung and Xiaomi. More smartphones will soon support Airtel VoLTE, as many mobile vendors are rolling out an update for the same.
- Smasung mobiles – Samsung Galaxy A5, Samsung Galaxy A7, Samsung Galaxy A8, Samsung Galaxy A9, Samsung Galaxy J2, Samsung Galaxy J7, Samsung Galaxy J7(2016), Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, Sasmung Galaxy J2 Pro, Samsung Galaxy ON8 and Samsung Galaxy ON NXT.
- Apple – iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s and 6s Plus, iPhone 7 & 7 Plus and iPhone SE
- Xiaomi – Mi Max, Mi 5, Redmi Note 4
- Gionee – Gionee A1
- Oppo – Oppo F3, Oppo A71 and Oppo F3 Plus
- Vivo – Vivo Y55L