Union minister for HRD Science and Technology, Kapil Sibal confirmed on Friday that Aakash 2 a.k.a UbiSlate 7+ is coming in January-February 2012 with improved features. The Aakash 2 tablet will three times faster than Aakash 1 and will have 50 % more battery life. The latest version will have to pass a new quality protocol prepared on basis of inputs received from about 600 students of Indian Institutes of Technology and other engineering colleges.
Akash 2 Tech Specs
- Android OS 2.3
- Cortex A8, 700 Mhz Process with HD Video Co Processor
- 256 MB RAM
- Storage: (Internal) 2GB Flash / (External) 2GB to 32GB Supported
- Peripherals: 2 Standard USB Ports (Ver. 2.0)
- Audio Out: 3.5mm jack
- Display and Resolution: 7″ Display with 800×480 pixels
- Supported Document Formats: All Version Office Document formats and many more
- High Quality Video Streaming & HD Quality Video Playback
- Input Devices: Resistive Touch Screen
- Connectivity with GPRS & WiFi IEEE 802.11 a/b/g (Phone Functionality)
- Battery: Upto 180 minutes of battery, AC adaptor 200.240 volts
DataWind is already working on giving the device a capacitive touch screen and 3G connectivity. This version will be priced around Rs.7,000, making it, when it releases, the cheapest 3G tablet in the market. The aim thereafter is to bring down the price – through sheer volume sales – to INR3,000.
Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has announced the plan to launch LTE(4G) Tablet between INR3500-5000, with low cost Internet service. This tablet will be an upgraded version of Aakash developed by DataWind.
Datawind had also announced an upgraded verison of Aakash with a front-facing camera and 1 GB RAM.
DataWind has come with an e-mail support service for the customers to respond to all queries related to the status of their orders.
The e-mail support service is now available on [email protected] This support is along wth the toll-free number and fill-in query forms.