Bharti Airtel, India’s top telecom operator has achieved another major milestone, 200 million customers base in India. The customers base are from various Bharti Airtel services which include 2G, 3G and 4G telecom service, fixed telephone line and DSL broadband, IPTV and DTH services. Bharti also offers business solution to enterprise, government and carrier customers. It stands now with the first telecom operator to launch 4G telecom services in India.
Bharti Airtel started its service in India on 1995, after getting GSM mobile service license on 1994 to operate in Delhi and NCR telecom circle, from there Bharti Airtel has been at the forefront of India’s telecom growth story. It has been a pioneer both in terms of its innovative business model that helped drive affordability of telecom services and exciting services that have set the benchmark for the industry.
Sanjay Kapoor (CEO – India & South Asia, Bharti Airtel) commented, “Bharti Airtel’s success story in India has been nothing short of exceptional. Over the years – we are proud to have been at the forefront of India’s telecom revolution and adapted our business to deliver on the market’s fast evolving customer needs. In this journey, while our first 14 years of operations saw a 100 million customers joining the Bharti Airtel family, it is remarkable that our next 100 million came from the last three years alone. As a company with the vision of enriching lives, this remarkable leap to the 200 million milestone is testimonial of the customer trust we have won despite a hyper competitive market scenario – be it for voice telephony, data services or DTH. This feat places us among the best telcos in the world and we are thankful to our customers, employees, partners and other stakeholders for entrusting their faith in Airtel along the years”.
Bharti Airtel key Milestone’s
- 1994—Wine licenses for G oI for GSM mcbile service in Delhi and NCR
- 1995 —Bharti Tele-venture incorporated. Launched its services under the Airtel brand name.
- 1997 —Becomes the first mobile service provider in the country to cross 100,000 customer mark.
- 1998 — Becomes first Indian company to offer telecom services in International market by launching mobile services in Seychelles.
- 2001 – Bharti and Singtel form netwok i2i, India’s first submarine cable development company
- 2002 – Bhati goes public, completes India’s first 100% book building issue
- 2002 – Becomes India’s first private telecommunication services provider to launch International Long Distance services
- 2003 – Launches first dual band network in Delhi, Punjab, Harayana free incoming calls from Airtel
- 2003 – Airtel subscribers exceed 3 million mark.
- 2008 – Bhati Airtel crosses 60 million customer mark. Launches DTH services
- 2009 – Cross the magical 100 million customer mark
- 2011 – Airtel becomes first telecom operator to launch 3G service in India
- 20011 – Launches Airtel Money
- 2011 – becomes the title sponsors for first F1 race in India
- 2012 – Launch of India’s first 4G services in Kolkata, followed by Bengaluru